Home > The Tin Cup, from Virginia City, Colorado...
Show image list »
The Tin Cup, from Virginia City, Colorado...
Item # 673890
May 27, 1882
THE TIN CUP RECORD, Virginia City, Gunnison County, Colorado, May 27, 1882 A very rare newspaper as Gregory (Union List of American Newspapers) lists only one institution as having any issues of this title and that holding was recently purchased by us. No others are recorded in any American institution. This was also the only newspaper every published in Virginia City, Colorado, before the name change (see below).
In 1878, lode deposits were discovered in the area and the town of Virginia City was laid out. By the 1880 census, the town had a population of 1,495. Due to confusion with Virginia City, Nevada, and Virginia City, Montana, the residents changed the town. It was reincorporated in July 1882 as Tin Cup.
Early Tin Cup was a violent place. Town Marshal Harry Rivers died in a gunfight in 1882, and Marshal Andy Jameson was shot to death in 1883. Today Tincup is a community of summer homes with a few year-round residents. Many historic buildings are still in use.
Four pages, archivally rejoined at the spine, minor fold perforation at a vertical fold, generally nice condition.
Category: The Old West