Home > Jefferson Davis calls for Negro troops...
Show image list »
Jefferson Davis calls for Negro troops...
Item # 562586
August 30, 1863
THE NEW YORK HERALD, August 30, 1863
* Jefferson Davis calls for Negro troops
* Charleston, South Carolina
This genuine newspaper has a wealth of Civil War reporting from during Abraham Lincoln's administration. Among the one column headlines on the Civil War are:
* THE DRAFT
* OUR REBEL PRISONERS
* The Prisoners at Johnson's Island (Ohio)
* NEWS FROM CHARLESTON
* Our Troops Hard at Work in Front of Wagner
* IMPORTANT FROM NORTH CAROLINA
* Jeff. Davis Calls Out Half a Million Negro Troops
and more. (see)
Complete in eight pages. This issue is not fragile as newsprint from this era was made of cotton and linen rags, allowing them to remain very pliable and easy to handle. Minor staining, otherwise in nice condition.