Show image list »
German language religious newspaper from St. Louis...
Item # 687897
June 01, 1865
DER LUTHERANER, St. Louis, June 1, 1865
* Rare publication in German
An unusual German language newspaper. In the mid-19th century a flood of immigrants from Europe poured into the United States, Germans being the largest ethnic group at the time. Like many immigrants, the Germans wanted to preserve their language and newspapers in their native language.
In 1840 there were 40 German-language newspapers in the United States. In 1844 a Lutheran named Carl Ferdinand Wilhelm Walther began publishing "Der Lutheraner". Although published in St. Louis, Missouri, it was written in a small town in Illinois.
Eight pages, 9 3/4 by 13 1/4 inches, nice condition, very decorative masthead.
Category: Pre-Civil War