Show image list »
Surrender of Charleston... Battle of Waxhaws...
Item # 685819
Currently Unavailable. Contact us if you would like to be placed on a want list or to be notified if a similar item is available.GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE, London, July, 1780 Inside has a letter from Gen. Clinton providing additional details about the situation in South Carolina following the surrender of "Charles-Town" [Charleston].
In his letter he describes the results of the various missions in this campaign, with specific references to the successes of Lord Cornwallis. Bits include: "...Lieut. Gen. Earl Cornwallis was to march up the north side of Santee whilst another corps moved up the hither shore of that river towards the district of Ninety-Six...the inhabitants from every quarter repair to the detachments of the army, & to this garrison to declare their allegiance to the King & to offer their services..." with more, signed in type: H. Clinton.
This is followed by: "Total of the Rebel Forces commanded by Major-General Lincoln at the Surrender of Charles-Town, May 12, 1780, now prisoners of War", and another brief note signed: H. Clinton, then followed by a letter signed by Ban. Tarleton regarding his efforts in the battle at Waxhaws, South Carolina, including: "...at Wacsaw [sic]...the rebel force commanded by Col. Buford consisting of the 11th Virginia, and detachments of other regiments from the same province...were brought to action....After the summons...were offered and politely rejected, the action commenced...both flanks were equally victorious...few of the enemy escaping...".
Also included is the "Return of rebels killed, wounded & taken in the affair at Wacsaw, the 29th of May, 1780" signed in type: Ban. Carleton.
Included is the only plate called for, a foldout titled: "View of a Bridge of a Singular Construction...".
Complete in 48 pages, 5 1/4 by 8 1/4 inches, full title/contents page with an engraving of St. John's Gate, very nice condition.
A very nice Revolutionary War era magazine from the "mother country" with a wide range of varied content. This was the first periodical to use the word "magazine" in its title, having begun in 1731 and lasting until 1907.