Show image list »
Memphis, Tennessee Confederate newspaper...
Item # 673637
August 02, 1861
THE MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL, Tennessee, Aug. 2, 1861 This newspaper had fascinating history as it was chased around the South--see the information below. Among the war reports are: "The War News!" "Mississippi Second Regiment--List of Killed & Wounded in the Late Battle" "Later from Pensacola" "The Voice of the Northern Press" "Another Note of Warning" and much more.
Complete as a very large size, 4 page newspaper, the entire issue is in an archival overlay which does not deter readability. There are missing portions at the central fold (see photos), some staining, etc. The two leaves are loose at the spine.
Memphis was a Confederate stronghold up through the Battle of Memphis on June 6, 1862, at which time the Yankees moved in and it became a Yankee city. The "Memphis Daily Appeal", dedicated to the Southern cause rallying both civilians & soldiers, it was the most important newspaper of the region, soon famously known as the "Moving Appeal."
On June 6, 1862, the presses and plates were loaded into a boxcar and moved to Grenada, Mississippi, where it stayed for a few months, until approaching Federal troops threatened again, forcing a move in November 1862 to Jackson, Mississippi, where it published until May 1863, when Federal troops again arrived. By this time, the Appeal had gained notoriety among Union forces as a rebel sympathizer while it remained on the run. The next stop was Meridian, Mississippi, from where, one issue and two days later, the wandering journalists moved on to Mobile, Alabama, then to Montgomery, and ultimately to Atlanta, the economic heart of the Confederacy. Publication from Atlanta began in June 1863 and continued through July 1864, when it returned to Montgomery, where it published from September 1864 to April 1865. Its final move was to Columbus, Georgia, where Federal forces finally caught up with it. It resumed publication following the war in Memphis on November 5, 1865. During just a four year period this newspaper published in nine different cities. (credit: Tennessee State Library & Archives)