Show image list »
Alcatraz Prison acquired...
Item # 570034
October 14, 1933
THE DETROIT FREE PRESS, Detroit, Michigan, October 14, 1933 This 22 page newspaper has one column headlines on page 2 that read: "Island Prison for U.S. Felons" "Old Pacific Fortress to Hold Badmen"
Tells of the acquirement of Alcatraz Island by the U.S. Dept. of Justice.
Other news of the day. Light browning with minor margin wear, otherwise in good condition.
wikipedia notes: The United States Disciplinary Barracks on Alcatraz was acquired by the United States Department of Justice on October 13, 1933, and the island became a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison in August 1934. During the 29 years it was in use, the jail held such notable criminals as Al Capone, Robert Franklin Stroud (the Birdman of Alcatraz), George "Machine Gun" Kelly, James "Whitey" Bulger, Bumpy Johnson, Mickey Cohen, Arthur R. "Doc" Barker and Alvin Karpis (who served more time at Alcatraz than any other inmate). It also provided housing for the Bureau of Prison staff and their families.
Category: The 20th Century