Home > Tokyo Rose Convicted in 1949....
Click image to enlarge 216203
Show image list »

Tokyo Rose Convicted in 1949....

Item # 216203

Currently Unavailable. Contact us if you would like to be placed on a want list or to be notified if a similar item is available.

September 30, 1949

THE SPRINGFIELD UNION, Massachusetts, September 30, 1949.

* Toyo Rose (Iva Toguri) convicted of treason - unique gift idea

This 40 page newspaper has a three line, four column headline on the front page: "TOKYO ROSE CONVICTED IN LONGEST AND MOST COSTLY TREASON TRIAL" with subheads that include: "Mrs. Iva D'Aquino Is Found Guilty By Jurors at 'Frisco" with a one column photo of Iva Toguri. Other news of the day with several interesting advertisements. Some margin wear, otherwise in good condition.

Historcial Background: The name is associated with Iva Toguri D'Aquino (born Ikuko Toguri, July 4, 1916, Los Angeles, California - died September 26, 2006, Chicago, Illinois), a U.S. citizen visiting relatives in Japan at the start of the war. Unable to leave Japan after the start of hostilities, she took work at the Japanese radio showThe Zero Hour.[1] After the war, she was investigated and released when the FBI and the U.S. Army'sCounter Intelligence Corps found no evidence against her, but influential gossip columnistWalter Winchell lobbied against her. She was brought to the U.S., where she was charged and subsequently convicted of treason. [1]

In 1949, testimony led to D'Aquino being convicted of one of eight counts of treason by the U.S. government.[2] She was given a sentence of 10 years and a $10,000 fine. After six years, she was released and moved to Chicago, Illinois, where Chicago Tribune reporter Ron Yates identified her. Yates later went on to discover that Kenkichi Oki and George Mitsushio, who delivered the most damaging testimony, lied under oath.[2] They stated they had been threatened by the FBI and U.S. occupation police and told what to say and what not to say just hours before the trial.[2] On January 19, 1977, she was pardoned by U.S. President Gerald Ford, who also restored her citizenship.[3] She died in a Chicago hospital, of natural causes, on September 26, 2006, at the age of 90

Category: The 20th Century