Home > Back to Search Results > Hometown newspaper reports: Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak begins, is established, and ends...
Show image list »
Hometown newspaper reports: Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak begins, is established, and ends...
Item # 662880
July 18, 1941
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, a trio of issues for May 16, July 17 and 18, 1941
* Joe DiMaggio's famous hitting streak
* It begins - breaks record - and ending
* New York Yankees - MLB baseball
The sports page of May 16 has a report on the game with the Chicago White Sox, noting a 13-1 defeat, but also including the box score which shows Joe DiMaggio had a hit. Also a neat subhead noting: "Joe Singles", likely because Joe is from San Francisco.
Who would have know this game would be the beginning of a record-setting 56 game hitting streak?
* The sports page of July 17 has a nice report headed: "JOE GETS 3 HITS FOR NO. 56 AS YANKS WIN" with a related photo as well.
* The sports page of July 18 has the report: "DiMag's
bat Streak Ends - Joe Hitless In 57th Game". Even the front page has a brief report headed: "Stopped at 56: Joe DiMaggio Goes Hitless in His 57th Game".
Great to have this nice trio in DiMaggio's hometown newspaper. All are complete and in nice condition with small binding holes at the blank spine. Old library tape at some margins in the May 16 issue.
Category: The 20th Century