Hide image list »
Printed on the run...
A Memphis newspaper printed in Atlanta...
Item # 649462
January 12, 1864
THE MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL, Atlanta, Georgia, Jan. 12, 1864
* A very rare Confederate title
* Publisher on the run - a Memphis newspaper printed in Atlanta
* Three General Orders and more
If the title and city of publication seem to be in conflict, they are not. This newspaper had a fascinating history during the Civil War--see the information at the bottom of this listing.
Among the front page reports are: "Northern & Western Items" "Banished From Vicksburg", a 'Proclamation' from Galveston", a letter from Port Lavaca, and another "Letter From Matamoros" "Speech of Senator Johnson of Arkansas" "Designs on Mobile" "Letter From Richmond" and much reporting from the: "Confederate States Congress" among other smaller items.
The back page has a lengthy editorial, and articles headed: "A Word In Reference to Our Hospitals' "Forward Brudders: Forward!" "From Virginia" "From New Orleans" "The First Missouri Brigade" and other items. There are also many ads including three "General Orders" (see photos).
Complete as a single sheet newspaper with a full banner masthead, nice condition.
Memphis was a Confederate stronghold up through the Battle of Memphis on June 6, 1862, at which time the Yankees moved in and it became a Yankee city. The "Memphis Daily Appeal", dedicated to the Southern cause rallying both civilians & soldiers, it was the most important newspaper of the region, soon famously known as the "Moving Appeal."
On June 6, 1862, the presses and plates were loaded into a boxcar and moved to Grenada, Mississippi, where it stayed for a few months, until approaching Federal troops threatened again, forcing a move in November 1862 to Jackson, Mississippi, where it published until May 1863, when Federal troops again arrived. By this time, the Appeal had gained notoriety among Union forces as a rebel sympathizer while it remained on the run. The next stop was Meridian, Mississippi, from where, one issue and two days later, the wandering journalists moved on to Mobile, Alabama, then to Montgomery, and ultimately to Atlanta, the economic heart of the Confederacy. Publication from Atlanta began in June 1863 and continued through July 1864, when it returned to Montgomery, where it published from September 1864 to April 1865. Its final move was to Columbus, Georgia, where Federal forces finally caught up with it. It resumed publication following the war in Memphis on November 5, 1865. During just a four year period this newspaper published in nine different cities. (credit: Tennessee State Library & Archives)