Home > Hebrew University of Jerusalem dedication...
Show image list »
Hebrew University of Jerusalem dedication...
Item # 648423
April 2, 1925
THE NEW YORK TIMES, April 2, 1925
* Hebrew University of Jerusalem dedication
* Israel - Jewish - Jews - Palestine - Mount Scopus
The front page has one column headings: "BALFOUR DEDICATES HEBREW UNIVERSITY" "Tells 8,000 Jews That Its Opening Is a New Epoch in Culture in the East" "URGES ARABS TO COOPERATE" and more. (see)
Other news, sports and advertisements of the day. Complete with all 44 pages, light toning, irregular along the spine, otherwise good.
wikipedia notes: The cornerstone for the university was laid in 1918, and, seven years later, on April 1, 1925, the Hebrew University campus on Mount Scopus of Jerusalem was opened at a gala ceremony attended by the leaders of the Jewish world, distinguished scholars and public figures, and British dignitaries, including Lord Arthur James Balfour, Viscount Allenby and Sir Herbert Samuel. The university's first Chancellor was Judah Magnes.
Category: The 20th Century