Show image list »
From 1881 Tincup, Colorado...
Item # 648251
December 10, 1881
GARFIELD BANNER, Tin Cup, Gunnison County, Colorado, December 10, 1881
* Very rare Old West title
A very rare title as Gregory (Union List of American Newspapers) notes only one institution as having just a single issue of this title. The holdings of the only other institution with any issues were recently purchased by us.
In October 1859, prospector Jim Taylor panned some gold from Willow Creek, and carried it back to camp in a tin cup; he named the valley “Tin Cup Gulch.”. For years the area was the site of seasonal placer mining, but no year-round communities were established, partly because of the danger of Indian attack.
In 1878, lode deposits were discovered and the town of Virginia City was laid out in March 1879. By the 1880 census, the town had a population of 1,495. Confusion with Virginia City, Nevada, and Virginia City, Montana, caused the residents to change the name. The town was reincorporated in July 1882 as Tin Cup.
Early Tin Cup was a violent place. Town marshal Harry Rivers died in a gunfight in 1882, and marshal Andy Jameson was shot to death in 1883. Tincup is now a community of summer homes with a few year-round residents. Many historic buildings are still in use & the town shows up on some lists of ghost towns. The Boot Hill Cemetery is located just south of the town.
This is the volume 1 number 14 issue, having begun just a few weeks before the death of President Garfield, hence the title & his portrait in the masthead (see). Complete in four pages, a little staining, minor margin wear, generally in good condition.
Category: Post-Civil War