Home > Judaica content... Oglethorpe reports new towns created in Georgia...
Show image list »
Judaica content... Oglethorpe reports new towns created in Georgia...
Item # 647074 THE GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE, London, January, 1737 Among the articles noted in the table of contents are: "Mr. Facio's Letter Concerning the Hebrew Accents" "An Instance of the Excellent Use of the Hebrew Accents" "Literal Translations of the Hebrew Code Ungrammatical, False, etc." "Hebrew Tenses not to be used Promiscuously" "Of Abraham's Age" "The Present Revenues of the Crown compared with those of Q. Elizabeth" "The Importance of News-Writers" "Cosmo De Medici and a Prime Minister Compared" "Queen Elizabeth Sells her Jewels" "Excellent Governmene of Sweden" and more.
Near the back is a section headed: "Historical Chronicle" with news from England & other parts of Europe as well as a report which includes: "At a Meeting of the Trustees of Georgia Mr. Oglethorpe newly arrived had the unanimous thanks of the board, & informed them that the Indian Nation 700 miles distant acknowledged his Majesty's authority & traded with the English from Savannah. That the Spanish General of Florida & council of war had sign'd a Treaty with the colony. That besides Savannah which is increas'd in building, there are 3 other towns founded this year, viz. Augusta, Frederica, and Darien. that a new town of Ebenezer was built by the Salzburghers, and several villages and gentlemen settled thro' the country at their own expense." (see). A nice item reporting the creation of several towns in Georgia.
Complete in 64 pages with full title/contents page which contains an engraving of St. John's Gate. Measures about 5 by 8 1/2 inches, even toning, generally very nice.
There are no plates or maps called for in this issue.
A very nice pre-Revolutionary War magazine from the "mother country" with a wide range of varied content including news of the day, political reports, literary items, and other unusual tidbits. This was the first periodical to use the word "magazine" in its title, having begun in 1731 and lasting until 1907.
Category: The 1600's and 1700's