Show image list »
Memphis newspaper printed in Atlanta... Execution of a deserter...
Item # 643497
January 18, 1864
THE MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL, Atlanta, Georgia, Jan. 18, 1864 If the title and city of publication seem to be in conflict, they are not. This newspaper had a fascinating history during the Civil War--see the information at the bottom of this listing.
Among the front page reports are: "Elevated Patriotism & Duty" "An Appeal to the Country", reports from the: "Confederate States Congress" "Late from the United States" "Our Fate in the Old Union" "Execution of a Deserter" and other war-related items.
The back page includes a nearly full column editorial headed: "Inspiration of Reaction", plus also: "Siege of Charleston" "Letter From Richmond" "Reorganization of the Army" "From the Army" being a report from Dalton, Georgia; plus other war-related items and many advertisements.
Complete as a single sheet newspaper with a full banner masthead, slightly close-trimmed at the bottom of the right margin of pg. 1 not affecting any mentioned reports, otherwise nice condition.
Memphis was a Confederate stronghold up through the Battle of Memphis on June 6, 1862, at which time the Yankees moved in and it became a Yankee city. The "Memphis Daily Appeal", dedicated to the Southern cause rallying both civilians & soldiers, it was the most important newspaper of the region, soon famously known as the "Moving Appeal."
On June 6, 1862, the presses and plates were loaded into a boxcar and moved to Grenada, Mississippi, where it stayed for a few months, until approaching Federal troops threatened again, forcing a move in November 1862 to Jackson, Mississippi, where it published until May 1863, when Federal troops again arrived. By this time, the Appeal had gained notoriety among Union forces as a rebel sympathizer while it remained on the run. The next stop was Meridian, Mississippi, from where, one issue and two days later, the wandering journalists moved on to Mobile, Alabama, then to Montgomery, and ultimately to Atlanta, the economic heart of the Confederacy. Publication from Atlanta began in June 1863 and continued through July 1864, when it returned to Montgomery, where it published from September 1864 to April 1865. Its final move was to Columbus, Georgia, where Federal forces finally caught up with it. It resumed publication following the war in Memphis on November 5, 1865. During just a four year period this newspaper published in nine different cities. (credit: Tennessee State Library & Archives)