Home > Back to Search Results > Jewish synagogue on Clinton Street...
Click image to enlarge 642923
Show image list »
Image043_tn
Image039_tn
Image040_tn
Image041_tn
Image042_tn
Image044_tn
Image045_tn
Image046_tn

Jewish synagogue on Clinton Street...



Item # 642923

May 7, 1853

ILLUSTRATED NEWS, New York, May 7, 1853  Formatted very much like Harper's Weekly although predating it by four years, with the masthead featuring a nice engraving of the New York skyline at the time. P.T. Barnum was a "Special Partner" in this publication (see photos).
Various illustrations within including a small one of the: "Exterior View of the Jewish Synagogue, Clinton St." and a related article: "Synagogue of the Jews" (see). This "Rodolph Sholom" synagogue was located on Clinton between Houston and Stanton Streets in lower Manhattan but is now the congregation Chasam Sopher. Google.com notes: "This is the oldest building in Manhattan built as a synagogue and still used for worship. It was built by a German-Jewish congregation known as Rodeph Sholom."  Also a nice view of: "Prattsville, New York, As It Is" and "...As It Was", plus "Hon. Zadock Pratt" "Camden & Amboy Railroad Accident" "View of Fort Hamilton, N.Y. Harbor"
Sixteen pages, very nice condition.

Item from Catalog 263 (released for October, 2017)...

Category: Pre-Civil War

No Longer Available