Show image list »
Jewish synagogue on Clinton Street...
Item # 642923
May 7, 1853
ILLUSTRATED NEWS, New York, May 7, 1853 Formatted very much like Harper's Weekly although predating it by four years, with the masthead featuring a nice engraving of the New York skyline at the time. P.T. Barnum was a "Special Partner" in this publication (see photos).
Various illustrations within including a small one of the: "Exterior View of the Jewish Synagogue, Clinton St." and a related article: "Synagogue of the Jews" (see). This "Rodolph Sholom" synagogue was located on Clinton between Houston and Stanton Streets in lower Manhattan but is now the congregation Chasam Sopher. Google.com notes: "This is the oldest building in Manhattan built as a synagogue and still used for worship. It was built by a German-Jewish congregation known as Rodeph Sholom." Also a nice view of: "Prattsville, New York, As It Is" and "...As It Was", plus "Hon. Zadock Pratt" "Camden & Amboy Railroad Accident" "View of Fort Hamilton, N.Y. Harbor"
Sixteen pages, very nice condition.
Category: Pre-Civil War