Home > News from America...
Show image list »
News from America...
Item # 625455 THE GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE, London, England, August, 1744
* News from America
* Medicine, surgery
Over 9 pages at the beginning of the issue are taken up with reports on events in Parliament under the guise of: "Proceedings & Debates in the Senate of Lilliput" as direct reporting on Parliamentary events was prohibited.
Among various other articles found in this issue are:
* "Bill for Speedy Manning the Fleet" which takes 7 pages.
* "On Writing History, by M. Voltaire"
* a continued list of: "Ships Taken from the French by the English"
* "The Queen of Hungary's Army in order of Battle" is a chart
* "The King of Prussia's Manifesto"
* "Mr. Yate's new Theory of the Earth"
* "Hypothesis Concerning Comet's Tails examined"
* "On the Present State, etc. of Physic and Surgery"
There is also a full page sheet of music.
Near the back is the "Historical Chronicle" which has various news reports from throughout Europe. Included also is a report from St. Kitt's in the Caribbean, also one headed: "Extract of a Letter from Jamaica".
There is also a lengthy report datelined: "Boston in New England" which takes most of a column.
Complete in 54 pgs. with full title/index page which contains an engraving of St. John's Gate. Measures about 5 1/4 by 8 1/4 inches, very nice condition. There are no maps or plates called for in this issue.
A very nice pre-Revolutionary War magazine from the "mother country" with a wide range of varied content including news of the day, political reports, literary items, and other unusual tidbits. This was the first periodical to use the word "magazine" in its title, having begun in 1731 and lasting until 1907.
Category: The 1600's and 1700's