Show image list »
Published by P.T. Barnum...
Jewish synagogue on Clinton Street...
Item # 611406
May 7, 1853
ILLUSTRATED NEWS, New York, May 7, 1853 Formatted very much like Harper's Weekly although predating it by four years, with the masthead featuring a nice engraving of the New York skyline at the time. Various illustrations within including a small one of the: "Exterior View of the Jewish Synagogue, Clinton St." and a related article: "Synagogue of the Jews" (see photo). This "Rodolph Sholom" synagogue was located on Clinton between Houston and Stanton Streets in lower Manhattan but is now the congregation Chasam Sopher. Google.com notes: "This is the oldest building in Manhattan built as a synagogue and still used for worship. It was built by a German-Jewish congregation known as Rodeph Sholom." Also a nice view of: "Prattsville, New York, As It Is". Other illustrations, news and advertisements are within.
Complete in 16 pages measuring 15 1/2 x 11 inches and is in very nice condition.
Category: Pre-Civil War