Show image list »
Mahatma Gandhi... Complete India independence wanted...
Item # 581777
April 2, 1931
THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR, Boston, Massachusetts, April 2, 1931
* Post Gandhi-Irwin Pact
* Mahatma Gandhi
* Complete India independence wanted
This 12 page newspaper has one column headlines on the front page: "GANDHI TO FACE BRITISH DEMANDS FOR SAFEGUARDS", "London Mandate Gives Him Room for Compromise--Will Meet Moslems"
Other news of the day. Good condition.
wikipedia notes: Gandhi–Irwin Pact refers to a political agreement signed by Mahatma Gandhi and the then Viceroy of India, Lord Irwin on 5th March 1931. It was signed after meetings between Gandhi and the Viceroy that spanned over a three week time period. Many Indian citizens were originally unsatisfied with the conditions of this truce. The agreement spelled out certain specific action points, to be initiated by the colonial Government of India as well as the Indian National Congress. Important action points of the Pact included:
* Discontinuation of the civil disobedience movement by the Indian National Congress
* Participation by the Indian National Congress in the Round Table Conference
* Withdrawal of all ordinances issued by the British Government imposing curbs on the activities of the Indian National Congress
* Withdrawal of all prosecutions relating to several types of offenses except those involving violence
* Release of prisoners arrested for participating in the civil disobedience movement
* The removal of the tax on salt, which allowed the Indians to produce, trade, and sell salt legally and for their own private use.
Category: The 20th Century