Home > Back to Search Results > World's Oldest Newspaper 1729... 280 Years Old...
Click image to enlarge 556818
Show image list »
Image024_tn
Image025_tn
Image026_tn
Image027_tn
Image028_tn
Image029_tn
Image030_tn

World's Oldest Newspaper 1729... 280 Years Old...



Item # 556818

March 14, 1729

THE LONDON GAZETTE, London, England, March 14, 1729

* 18th Century original

This SINGLE SHEET issue is 280 years old. Various news from London and other parts of Europe and more. This title is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the world which began in 1665 and is still in existence today. Also with some interesting advertisements as well.

A complete newspaper measuring about 7 by 11 1/2 inches and is in nice condition except for minor spine wear. Made of rag paper which was used back in the day (no wood pulp). Fine and very early newspaper. Can easily be framed. WOULD MAKE A GREAT UNIQUE GIFT.

Historical Background: "When in the autumn of 1665 Charles II sought shelter in Oxford from the Great Plague, he and his courtiers wanted newspapers to read, yet feared to touch "The Intelligencer" or "The News," which, coming from London, might be infected. Therefore Leonard Litchfeld, the university printer, was authorized and ordered to bring out a local paper. On Tuesday, November 14, 1665, the first number of "The Oxford Gazette" appeared, and it continued afterwards through eleven weeks on Thursdays and Mondays. It was meagre enough, but, though comprised in only two double-columned pages of folio, each number contained nearly as much matter as one of Roger L'Estrange's papers, and it soon became a formidable rival to those papers, especially as Thomas Newcombe, the old printer of the Commonwealth organs, was allowed to reproduce its sheets in London "for the use of some members and gentlemen who desired them.

The plague was soon over and King Charles went back to Whitehall, but he was pleased with the Oxford effort and it was soon succeeded by "The London Gazette, which made its first appearance, labelled as No. 24, on February 5, 1666, and which has been kept alive, altering its size and character from time to time, down to this day."

Category: The 1600's and 1700's

No Longer Available