Show image list »
Formerly known as "Defiance"...
Item # 130253
January 1, 1893
THE PEOPLE'S HERALD & GLENWOOD SPRINGS REPUBLICAN, Colorado, 1893 As noted in Wikipedia: " Glenwood Springs was originally known as Defiance, Colorado. Defiance was established in 1883, a camp of tents, saloons and brothels with an increasing amount of cabins and lodging establishments. It was populated with the expected crowd of gamblers, gunslingers, and prostitutes. Town Founder Isaac Cooper's wife Sarah was having a hard time adjusting to the frontier life and in an attempt to make her environment somewhat more comfortable, persuaded the founders to change the name to Glenwood Springs, Colorado after her beloved hometown of Glenwood, Iowa."
This issue is complete in 8 pages with an interesting variety of current news, local tidbits, literary items, and many advertisements. Various tears at the margins, loose at the spine, & evenly toned.
The photo provided is "generic", although your issue will be from 1893 and look very similar.
Category: The Old West